Family Getaway Program
Camp John Marc offers Family Getaway Weekends because families benefit from quality time spent together, outdoors and away from the demands of everyday life.
Qualifying families (see below for details) who participate spend a self-guided and schedule-free weekend making memories at Camp John Marc. On their own, families create an individualized retreat that meets their unique needs and interests. One family might catch a record number of fish, while another might play a marathon game of Monopoly or spend their days hiking and their evenings star-gazing. All families will likely find it to be a special opportunity to experience the quiet, natural beauty of camp in a way that campers coming during the hot and busy summer months rarely see.
Here are some frequently asked questions about the program:
What can my family do during a Family Getaway Weekend?
Activities that do not require certified staff are open to families during Family Getaway Weekends. Families can fish (we provide the gear and bait), make crafts, play in the Sports Barn, take a hike, visit the tree house, hunt for fossils, make a campfire and roast s’mores, take field trips to nearby attractions like Dinosaur Valley and Fossil Rim, and so much more. The ropes course, pool, boating area, archery range, and horseback riding area all require certified staff assistance, and are therefore not open during Family Getaway Weekends.
Where will we stay during the weekend?
Families stay in one of the Family Lodges, which sleep 4-6 comfortably on either twin beds or pull-out sofas. Families can also bring sleeping bags to accommodate additional guests. Each lodge has an accessible bathroom, living and dining area, washer and dryer, and a kitchenette (with a microwave, sink, and small refrigerator).
What about meals during the weekend?
Each family provides their own food and prepares their own meals for the entire weekend. There are fire pits and grills for cooking outside near the lodges and a microwave inside each lodge. A stove and oven are available in the Silo Teaching Kitchen. Many families also enjoy eating out during the weekend. A list of local restaurants can be found in the information binder kept in each lodge.
Is there a cost to participate in a Family Getaway Weekend?
Family Getaway Weekends are free of charge. However, families must provide all of their meals for the weekend and transportation to and from Camp John Marc.
When do Family Getaway Weekends occur?
Family Getaway Weekends are hosted when there are no other scheduled programs happening at Camp John Marc. Currently, CJM hosts about seven Family Getaway Weekends a year.
Besides my family, who will be at Camp during a Family Getaway Weekend?
Camp John Marc is able to serve seven families each Family Getaway Weekend. A CJM host will also be on site throughout the weekend. The host can answer questions, serve as a resource, and help in case of an emergency. The host is not available to lead activities or provide supervision.
Who qualifies for a Family Getaway Weekends?
- Families with children 18 years of age or under who are currently served by one of the Camp John Marc summer or weekend camps
- Families served by a clinic, department, or medical/child life staff affiliated with a camp that comes to Camp John Marc
- Any family living in the Dallas/Fort Worth area raising a child or children 18 years or younger diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis
Are there any other guidelines I should know about?
- To accommodate as many families as possible, each family may only participate in one Family Getaway Weekend per year.
- If a family attends a fall or spring weekend camp, we ask they participate in a Family Getaway Weekend in the season opposite the family camp. For example, if a family attends a fall weekend camp, they should apply for a spring Family Getaway Weekend.
- Family Getaway Weekends are for family members who currently live in the same household and grandparents. Friends and family members not currently living in the same household should not attend. Consideration is given to special circumstances. Please let us know your needs.
- Family Getaway Weekend spots are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
How do I sign up for a Family Getaway Weekend?
Click the Family Getaway Application button below. You will be notified when your application has been processed and you have been added to the Family Getaway Weekend database. When dates become available, you will receive an email with a list of the available options. All spaces are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis, so reply as soon as possible with your scheduling preferences, as spaces fill quickly.